Our series of short posts on different topics in metal studies, written to introduce a general audience to current research.
A podcast series hosted by ISMMS Secretary Owen Coggins featuring interviews with notable scholars in metal studies.
Events, CfPs & more
All information about events, calls for proposals, and other announcements related to metal music studies.
- Music and the Internet, University of Chicago and online, 9-10 June 2023by ISMMSAlthough the below call is about popular music in general, the conference team encourage proposals on metal related topics. Music and the Internet is a hybrid, multi-day interdisciplinary conference that will take place online and at the University of Chicago, 9–10 June 2023. Its goal is to bring together scholars and creators to present across … Read more
- CfP for ‘Intersectional (in)equality in heavy metal subculture’ panel at Talking Bodies conferenceby ISMMSFrom ISMMS member Holly Royle: I am organising a two-hour panel around the topic area of intersectional (in)equality in heavy metal subculture for the 2023 Talking Bodies Conference (12th-16th June). The conference is organised by the Institute of Gender Studies at the University of Chester, UK. I am looking for three speakers to deliver a 20-min … Read more
- ISMMS 2022 Elections Resultsby ISMMSISMMS is pleased to announce the results of the recent election to the Executive Board. Tore Tvarnø Lind was confirmed by members as the new Communications Officer and Lewis Kennedy was voted in for a second term as Treasurer & Membership Officer. The Board thanks Frankie Stevens for standing. We thank Ross Hagen and Nelson … Read more
- CFP for anthology Romanticism and Heavy Metalby ISMMSThe editors welcome chapter proposals for the forthcoming anthology Romanticism and Heavy Metal. Like the collections Rock and Romanticism: Blake, Wordsworth, and Rock from Dylan to U2 (Lexington 2018), Rock and Romanticism: Post-Punk, Goth, and Metal as Dark Romanticisms (Palgrave Macmillan 2018), David Bowie and Romanticism (Palgrave Macmillan 2022), and Women in Rock, Women in Romanticism (Routledge 2022), Romanticism and Heavy Metal seeks to interpret heavy … Read more
- ISMMS 2023 Conference: Call for Proposalsby ISMMSNo Outsides: Metal in an Era of Contagion June 6–8 2023, Concordia University Six decades from its counter-cultural inception, what remains of metal’s relation to the outside forces of extremity, abolition, and transformation? If there’s a common commitment to which the field of metal studies remains faithful, it is one invested in the outside. Such … Read more
- Elections for Communications Officer and Treasurerby ISMMSThe positions of Communications Officer and Treasurer on the ISMMS Executive Board will become available at the end of the current terms of Dr Ross Hagen (Communications Officer) and Dr Lewis Kennedy (Treasurer). We seek candidates to stand for the two positions in an election of the ISMMS membership, to serve terms of four years … Read more
- ISMMS 2023 Tiohtià:ke – No Outsides: Metal in an Era of Contagionby ISMMSSave the date: June 6–8 2023 Concordia University Full CFP and more information on the 2023 conference coming soon! Six decades from its counter-cultural inception, what remains of metal’s relation to the outside forces of extremity, abolition and transformation? If there’s a common commitment to which the field of metal studies remains faithful, it is one … Read more
- Methodical Approaches to Music and Dance: Exploring the Field of Heavy Metal and Its Genre Boundariesby ISMMSThe conference organisers Florian Heesch, Franziska Kaufmann and Daniel Suer are happy to share the program of the upcoming conference on “Methodical Approaches to Music and Dance: Exploring the Field of Heavy Metal and Its Genre Boundaries”. You can view and download the program here and on the conference homepage. If you would like to … Read more
- ISMMS Remembrance for Esther Clintonby ISMMSThe ISMMS board was incredibly saddened to hear of the passing of Dr. Esther Clinton, one of the key figures in the development of Metal Studies and a renowned scholar and presenter. Our thoughts are with her friends and family, and especially her devoted husband Jeremy Wallach. Most of us had the pleasure of meeting … Read more